Sunday, August 14, 2011

Slice n' dice

Since I've been going grocery shopping basically everday one of my favorite spots is Pacific Ranch Market in my hometown of Orange, CA. It has a lot of specialty items and there's a great butcher and deli section. Like I'll go there if I'm looking for a goose or something. The prices are way too high in general so everday stuff I'd go somewhere else. Anyway, while shopping there during the week I saw a sign advertising knife sharpening. The next day I went to get a couple knives sharpened and it's totally amazing on how much of a difference it makes.
A few years ago browsing food related web sites and forums was a huge part of my everday routine. One of the topics that a ran across was kitchen knives. There seems to be a little subsection of people who are really into their knives, how to sharpen them, collecting, etc. I guess Japanese kitchen knives are really specialized- one for vegetables, one for blow fish, sashimi. They're really cool, they almost look like mini samurai swords. I finally decided to buy one after thinking of getting one for a couple years. The cheapest Japanese chef's knife may be over 100 bucks so it's a major purchase by my small standards. I've seen some knives that go for thousands of dollars, it gets pretty crazy. I just bought one on the cheaper side but it seems to be highly regarded by the internet Japanese kitchen knife crowd. I'm pretty excited.

No comments: