Sunday, April 11, 2010

Alton Brown Approved: Sardines on toast

I was watching Good Eats a few months ago and Alton did an episode about dieting.  I didn't catch the whole episode but it did make me notice that Alton has been looking mighty skinny on those Welch's commercials.  I haven't watched the last few seasons of Good Eats as regularly as I'd like, mostly because a lot of his show topics are hit or miss, but apparently he was a huge balloon last season.  He says he lost 50 pounds in 9 months so kudos to him.  This dieting episode wasn't all that great, like he showed how to make a smoothie, making it way more complicated than it has to be.  He did talk passionately about sardines which made me get some.  I'm not stranger to sardines though, I used to have rolls of bread filled with sardines packed in tomato sauce in elementary school. Maybe it's an Asian thing.  I went to the Food4Less around here and wandered down the Asian section and they had cans of sardines packed in tomato sauce stored there right next to the oyster sauce and whatever.

Alton made some sardines on toast, with a shmear of avocado to offset the fishiness.  Avocados are expensive as hell too and mixing it with fish seems weird, so I vetoed that idea.  I don't know if the stronger fishy flavor of these fish bothers people, it's not like it's a bad sign like a fishy smelling hooker is.  It's just a different taste.  Anyway, get some sardines packed in oil, brush the bread with that canning oil.  I thought that was the coolest step Alton did.  The sardines themselves you can just smoosh on some sourdough bread.  I put some herbs, roasted tomatoes, and some lemon in the mix too.  It's a pretty good late night snack or quick meal. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

geez here i'm trying to be clean and you are talking about fishy hookers.
sounds good. ill try this.