Monday, April 12, 2010

Salmon burgers

Here's a random concoction I made up, trying to make something interesting out of fish like tacos or something that isn't just a piece of fish on a plate.  I keep some frozen salmon and mahi mahi around in case I think of something to make, and I forced myself to take a piece out of the freezer and thaw out in my fridge and use it.  At first I was just going to cook it and eat it plain with some vegetables on the side but never got around to cooking it.  After a few days and some panic over whether it was going to spoil soon I thought I should make a burger out of it.  I think most of the recipes for salmon burgers were like recipes for tuna salad: some herbs, some pickles like capers or cornichons, and mayonnaise.  I put a little chili sauce and a bit more yogurt than mayonnaise.
For some reason I thought the mayonnaise and yogurt would basically make the salmon patty un-overcookable but I was wrong. The patty was leaking a bunch of water as I let it set up in the fridge and it was this super wet unmanagable mixture.  The thing was falling apart in the pan too, so I figured it would take a while before getting overcooked.  If you ever had overcooked fish, or any overcooked piece of meat really, it's basically inedible.  It's like eating cotton balls, the food like sucks all the saliva out of your mouth and it's tasteless.  I chose an awful bun to eat it on too.  I got a dutch crunch roll from WinCo but it was terribly dense.  It was disappointing because I was looking forwards to eating it but I could barely take a couple bites out of it.  Ah well.

No comments: