Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pan evolution

Having good equipment in the kitchen is essential to making good food, and since I'm a guy getting a bunch of random gadgets is always fun.  I read a good post on the internets about steel pans detailing their pros and I read they were basically the same type of pans that are used in restaurants.  I always figured, if its good enough in the industry it's probably really good for me.  I thought I had to go to a restaurant supply store to get them but never got to go to one.  I did try going to the closest restaurant supply store near me once but it was closed down.   But then I saw that Sur la Table was carrying the pan I wanted so I eventually picked up a couple.  Steel pans need to be seasoned and cured like cast iron pans.  I don't understand the entire process, but it's something about attaching carbon to the metal toa nonstick surface.  Supposedly it's nicer than teflon pans and the like since there aren't chemicals to create the nonstick surface, so that's an added bonus. 

I bought one pan a week ago from Sur la Table and been seasoning it for fun for the past week.  It takes years to create an awesome surface from regular normal cooking but I've just been seasoning my pans for fun.  I just stick all of my cast iron and steel pans into an oven with a little oil inside and just bake them for a while at various temperatures.  Sort of sad what I do for fun, but it's kind of fun to look at how it changes. It's like those fashion people who like those distinctive wrinkles in their jeans after wearing them for a long time.

No comments: