Monday, March 29, 2010

Potato tacos

Here's another thing I made a while ago that I was too lazy to post on.  So I had a hankering for potato tacos one day.  I first had potato tacos while in a Spanish class with good ol' Ms. Fajardo at Santiago Canyon College during the Summer.  Everyone had to do a presentation in Spanish about how to cook something. "Cut the onions"  "Mix together" etc., relatively simple stuff.  Ms. Fajardo brought in potato tacos for everyone and did a little presentation on how to make them.  Even cold they were pretty great.  I tried making them at home but I suck at frying.  I don't have anything the technique or why it's not bad (thanks Alton Brown).  I just feel weird about using up so much oil to make one dish.  I know professional fryers say that the flavor of fried food is better from used oil and actually put used oil in new batches of oil, so yeah I know you can reuse oil but it's just awkward to me. 
Anyway, I just tried shallow frying these tacos, where basically the oil only goes up about half way up your food instead of completely covering it in deep frying.  I ended up burning most of my first batch but a few tacos made it out unscathed.  I didn't remember if flour or corn tortilla were more traditional, but I used flour because I figured that texture might be crispier but I don't think the flavor was there.  The potato filling was bland too, not sure if I needed to salt it more or what.  For something so simple it sure is a pain the the ass to make. 

No comments: